Sunday, May 8, 2016

Busy Boys Shorts by Pattern Emporium

This fabric (actually a cotton curtain or sheet) was gifted to me as the giver just knew it would be perfect for Mr K. His eyes lit up when he saw it and his first question was, "it this for me?".

The pockets feature the machine embroidery design "Sky Compass" from Urban Threads. I combined with some left-over blue denim (purchased from Hong Kong) for the pockets and yoke (not pictured, currently hiding under the t-shirt). 

Here is the space fabric, now made up as my third or fourth pair of Busy Boy shorts. These are made in a size nine for Mr K, who is nine. He still wears the size eights and they are getting a bit tight.

A pretty cheap pair of shorts - just the cost of the thread, elastic, pattern (which has been used about four times) and time.

I have kept the original post of my second pair of Busy Boys below, so you can see how the shorts look made up in different sizes and fabric.

It seems that I did have another pair of the Pattern Emporium Busy Boys Everyday shorts in me!

This pair, still in size 8 for Mr K, are made using the Going Coastal fabric by Michael Miller combined with some astrologically themed fabric from Spotlight (I thought the blue and white went well with the orange).

This time, I added the side pockets with a pocket tab and button.

I also realised that I had been omitting the topstitching down the front, but this is also a bit of my personal preference. I really prefer this topstitching best when there is a front fly. Anyway, Mr K didn't care or notice. Maybe next time?

I have maybe one or two more pairs of shorts to make to replenish his supply. I have moved onto a different pattern though....


I was not successful in pattern matching at the side seams but at least I did get the crabs lining up along the bottom. And I did have a minor heart flutter when I thought I had cut the shorts out upside down but then remembered I had checked and the pattern is two-way! I should have lined up the crabs better on the waistband but I was struggling with limited meterage and, to be honest, the thought didn't cross my mind until now. This is why I prefer to work with a more random print! I do love this fabric though and it will be perfect for Australia Day.


Sunday, April 24, 2016

New Horizons Alpine Trousers courtesy of Hong Kong

It only took two days from the time of landing back from Hong Kong, to wash, cut and start sewing up the fabulous mustard denim sourced from the Sham Shui Po fabric district. I will blog more about the trip separately, in the meantime this post is all about the trousers....

Here is the link to the pattern if you wish to purchase (no affilation here):

Mr K has a shortage of clothes lined up for winter, so a new pair of long pants was a must. I have made the Alpine pattern by New Horizons (formerly known as Terra's Treasures) before using the flat front version in the shorts length. This time I went for the long version with the faux fly. Tip: Cut on the solid black line for the crotch once you have attached the fly to the pattern pieces (I had to contact the designer to confirm this as it wasn't clear to me in the pattern and I always check before cutting!).

Here is the description:
The Alpine Trousers are a structured well fitting pant. They feature a flat front with elastic back waistband, side and back pockets and optional faux fly. Make them with contrasting fabric for an even more fun look. Also comes in Shorts length. Great for boys! Sizes 0-3m 3-6m 6-12m 12-18m 18-24m 2t 3t 4t 5t 6 7 8 10 12 14 16 included.

The pattern itself is very straightforward. I like the faux fly and that it comes in up to size 12. Mr K finds fly zippers and buttons annoying so a faux fly is perfect.

The mustard denim is a great colour and comes from a street vendor in Sham Shui Po. This was his fabric "shop" on the pavement.

The seller had little understanding of English. Prices and lengths were communicated via calculator. It was closing time so he wasn't all that keen to sell, however it was also my last stop for the day so I persisted and he handed me his long ruler to point out the fabrics I wanted. Of course, they were right at the back and he used a little step to pull them out of the pile. Nothing like climbing on a pile of fabric!

The piping came from a 'real' store around the corner or so, which was chock-a-block with trims.

To jazz up the pants, I added two designs, Blueprint Cogs and Clockwork Skulls from Urban Threads and embroidered using my Janome 10000.

 I used a little pop of colour on the inside side pockets.

These are size 10 for my nine year old Mr K.  There is plenty of room in the length and some space in the bottom/crotch area to fill out during the next year or so.

P.S. I won't tell you how much this denim actually cost except to say that the machine embroidery designs were the most expensive part of these pants!