Saturday, November 24, 2012

Oliver & S Sketchbook shorts

Now when your husband tells you that your little boy has no "nice" shorts to wear (that is, he just play shorts in his wardrobe), you know it is time to dedicate some sewing to your oldest boy.

For me though, the jury is still out on these shorts.

 DSC_0004

Firstly, I was a bit peeved that there were a number of errors / omissions in the pattern, basic stuff like seam allowances. Not one, but two errors (I can't remember the other one). These errors are listed on the Oliver & S website so please go look there before you trace off this pattern.

 DSC_0003

Secondly, I was peeved when I cut out the shorts and forgot to add the seam allowance that was missed off the pattern so I would have to compensate for this when sewing.

 P1030783
Please excuse the dirty marks as the photo as taken after the shorts were given a serious workout.  

Thirdly, I discovered that the fabric had a small hole in it on the front AFTER I cut it out. This I could get around and why there is a cute parachute guy on the front. I made the applique and sewed on the parachute lines using silver thread.

P1030782
Looks like I need to cut a few threads and resew some of the lines.
 
My review

Pattern Description: Boys' elastic-waisted shorts with faux fly.

Pattern Sizing: sizes 5-12 were in this envelope. I made a size six but in hindsight should have made a size 5 for a better fit.  

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow? Good instructions and illustrations. Had no problems with sewing them. 

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I didn't like the E&O on a pattern. This is not a cheap pattern and I was disappointed that there were basic things missing (like a seam allowance). Easy to fix - if you remember! I think the waistband should be slightly wider so I'll add this in next time if I make these again. 


Fabric Used: Cord and printed drill purchased from Spotlight in 2011.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I used a contrast for the pocket inserts. I also did a full elastic waist as it looked a bit big on my skinny soon-to-be six year old. 

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I'm not sure if I'll sew these again.If I did I think I'd make them in a crisper fabric like a linen, denim or drill. I also like a version I saw with a ribbing and drawstring waist.

Conclusion: Buy this pattern for the shirt and not the shorts. 

No comments: